Thursday, September 12, 2013

Behavior Management: Individualized

I love Kindergarten. Everyday I find something new and exciting to support my thought that, "Kindergarten is for ME".

Yesterday was not one of those days. I slipped into old ways and was very discouraged (mostly with myself). My students were only reacting to my reacting; positivity went out the window. Positive reinforcement makes the world go round and smile! I had to review a couple ways in which I could positively encourage a few students of mine. I was never Great for individualized behavior plans... Because let's be honest, it takes a lot of extra planning, time, might over reward or students become jealous. I decided I was too exhausted to have another day like yesterday and went for it!!!! My plan was to relax after my two doctor's appointments after school, but I pushed through and Ta Da today was fabulous. 


Here is my first individualized plan... "I can walk with my class" badge. This is for a student that runs and hides every time we walk back from lunch, recess and specials. They have the chance to receive 6 WOW pieces a day... 


This was through half the day! The student did awesome... Some other problems I usually saw were extinguished too (crying for not first in line, pushing, talking and need to be by their best friend). 

My other friend is having a very hard time following directions, not in a defiant way but in a "I cannot understand or focus to remember" kind of way. This child received individualized Velcro strips that are changed to show what is expected at different points of the day. 


This worked pretty decently. At least I could point as a reminder rather than repeat and repeat and repeat. I am just concerned with this functionality everyday. We will see! 


13 comments:

  1. I like your ideas. Better to be positive than negative! Sounds like your idea was received positively by your student.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Can you share the template?

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this! Is there any way you'd be willing to share??
    brittneyhoff@gmail.com if so! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So... how did they earn the wow pieces? What did they have to do? Or did you just reward them when you saw fit?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the idea, i have many students who i can see using this. My room is a superhero theme too. Is this available on TPT?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am posting this on TPT in this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this. Where on TPT is it posted?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great idea! But, couldn't find it in TPT. Are you willing to share? If so please email me sonyakkoch@gmail.com. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it!! couldn't find TPT. if your willing to share my email is j.bradshaw28@hotmail.com.
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Individualized-Reward-System-1271718

    Here is the link for anyone looking for the file on TPT. Hope it works for you.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did you also post to TPT those instruction strips? I have some students who would benefit from those.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Omg these are so super cute! I couldn't find them on TPT would you mind sharing this with me. My classrooms theme is superheroes.

    Rmcgill@ymail.com

    ReplyDelete