Made It Monday, August 5th - Ah! "First Day of School" is just around the corner (ready or not?!)
For this Made It Monday with 4th Grade Frolics I am showing a section of my classroom.
"Teach For America" has a different energy than I would say my new school and district. Most of their push for urgency, rigor, tracking growth, high expectations and ect. can be taken into my Kindergarten class. Now I believe all teachers, administrators and parents have these ideas in place, but the way at which it is approached within Teach For America it has become ingrained on my brain. So... When I knew I was moving down to Kindergarten I was excited! I can use a couple different "tracking" incentives for my students that weren't quite applicable in my 2nd grade classroom with Teach For America. I created a Dig Into Delicious Words to reward and push my students to learn sight words.
First I want to say I am NOT an artist. I usually have such an issue with trying to draw even a simple tree and grass picture, but I couldn't find on the great world wide web what I was looking for. So I created....
This is my "SUNDAE" for which my students will strive to color in. Each section has a number associated with it. The number corresponds to how many sight words a student knows. After I test their knowledge of sight words (once a week... probably on Fridays), a student could have the opportunity to color in a section. Now the fun part, an ICE CREAM PARTY. At the end of the year... which ever sections were filled in during the school year is the sundae you will receive (see the incentive part).
Now let me show you this process to create my wall...
First I cut out all 24 Sundaes and Spoons. (I should give a shout out to my little sister who cut out 10 for me.. It is also her 21st Birthday today! Love you Sammy)
Not going to lie cutting out was miserable.
(I want to tell you here that the little bear on the sundae represents gummy bears.. my husband wasn't so impressed with that drawing of mine ha)
Next I glued the pieces on a variety of colored construction paper. Knowing me there was a secret pattern in my "variety".
Now! These sundaes need to be able to come down for my students to color them. So I hot glued clothespin on my wall (not I am not sure how easily they will be able to come off for the end of the year but oh well... it works great now). To make sure I had enough space I started in the middle and placed the construction paper on the clothespin and then placed the next clothespin... ect.
Lastly I have my finished wall! I am so excited to push my students to learn those sight words with a delicious treat. Lastly I am deciding whether or not each clothespin should have their student number on it or of their name on the construction paper is enough... We will see!
Thanks for looking today on my Made It Monday! Good luck as everyone goes back to school.