Monday, August 19, 2013

First Days in K

Need to start off with this lovely perfectly true quote I found from Babbling Abby!
 

Oh Man! Kindergarten is exhausting... not in a terrible, I don't want to do this way... but in a "I am a mother of 21 five year olds," kind of way. I do not have kids of my own and now I understand how my mother felt with 4 children always grabbing for her attention.

I want to make note, as a reminder for next year, Kindergarteners do not have a full grasp of elementary school regardless of what their experience in school was prior. All students need a slow transition into procedures, routines, academics, social times, and just that realization that "play" turns into "activities" (which let's be honest are not the same thing).

I am wishing for a great year, both for my students and myself. I am looking forward to having lots of fun learning and growing! But these first weeks are rough.... there is so much for my Kinders to learn. I feel bad for them and myself. It is hard to ease into a daily routine when everything takes 2x 3x longer than in November. I am struggling on that fine line between being "boring" routine procedures and slightly more interesting "academic" lessons. I know Harry Wong says to not teach academics before all procedures are firm, but how can a school day last from 8-3 (mine literally is) with only procedures. My students need to get up/more, explore, hear a story, relax, 'learn" about school, etc.

I am hoping my students are getting a good mix of the procedures of school and academic content... whether or not that may be cutting out a rectangle and being able to tell your neighbor that a rectangle has four sides... Hey we are getting in cutting procedures and math standards!!

If none of this makes sense then you can tell how my brain has been since going back to work. Why is the "Back to School" slump so hard? I mean, if I am being honest, I worked all summer! Got up early (at least 8) everyday, read a teaching technique book of many kids (probably a blog or two as well), printed and laminated many décor accents, went on a range of school supply shopping bins, and stayed up late enjoying working at my own pace on my classroom community plans. And yet once children sit in those desks... it is the real work being needed.

I am loving my students this year! I great group of personalities. I cannot wait to see how these little Kindergarteners grow up to be 1st graders. I am already so excited to see their progress. After all the exhaustion from these first couple days... I am blessed to have a job that is demanding but rewarding just the same!

I would love to hear others' thoughts on the balance between procedure and routine.

Here are a couple photos of the first couple days...





Natalie

Oh! And I moved my room all around today after school... Pictures posted tomorrow? Let's hope!


1 comment:

  1. Your room looks like the little ones have so much fun! Yay for being your newest Blog Lovin follower. =)


    Just Wild About Teaching

    ReplyDelete